CFTC Benefits Programs

CFTC provides many benefits, some of which are paid for or subsidized by the agency. Please see below for specific program details.

Health Insurance Programs

Federal Employees’ Health Benefits (FEHB) - You and your eligible family members can enroll in one of many health insurance plans through the FEHB. This voluntary program helps protect you from expenses of illness and accident and offers coverage without medical examination or restrictions due to age, current health, or pre-existing condition. Plans include fee-for-service, health maintenance organization, and point of service. CFTC pays 85 percent of the total premium.  This is a significantly higher contribution that most Federal agencies.  CFTC employees pay the remaining 15 percent and this amount is pre-taxed.  Outside of specific qualifying life events, the annual open season opportunity allows employees to change their coverage.  If you retire from Federal service, as long as you were covered by FEHB for the five-year period immediately preceding retirement, you are eligible to continue this coverage into retirement.  

CFTC Provided Dental Insurance – CFTC provides free dental insurance for its Federal employees.  Coverage is provided through MetLife.  See Summary of Dental Benefits for more details.  

Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP) - The FEDVIP provides comprehensive dental and vision insurance to eligible employees and their eligible family members. 

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAFEDS) - FSAFEDS provides a way for you to save money on health care and/or child care/elder care expenses.  You set aside money from your salary BEFORE taxes are withheld, incur eligible expenses and receive reimbursement.  Enrolling in FSAFEDS lowers the amount of income tax you pay because the salary you set aside for FSAFEDS is not taxed.  

Life and Long-Term Care Insurance Programs

Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) - FEGLI automatically covers new employees with Basic Life Insurance. This coverage is equal to your annual salary, rounded to the next $1,000, plus $2,000 additional, unless they waive coverage. The federal government pays one-third of the basic premium.   Current cost to employees is $.16 per $1,000 of coverage.  Employees may also purchase additional coverage.

Federal Long Term Care Insurance (FLTCIP) - The FLTCIP provides long-term care insurance for federal employees and their parents, parents-in-law, stepparents, spouses, same-sex domestic partners and adult children. You can apply for long-term care insurance even if you do not enroll in the FEHB program.

Retirement Benefits

Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), covers all new eligible employees.  It has three basic components: defined benefit annuity, social security, and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).  

The TSP is a tax-deferred retirement savings and investment plan for federal employees. Employees covered by FERS are enrolled automatically in the TSP. New employees automatically have 5 percent of their basic pay deducted and deposited into their TSP account. They also begin receiving automatic agency contributions equal to 1 percent of their bi-weekly pay and agency matching contributions equal to 4 percent of their bi-weekly pay.

Annual, Sick Leave, and Paid Holidays

Annual Leave - Full-time employees earn 13, 20 or 26 days of annual leave each year based on their years of combined federal and creditable military service. 

Sick Leave - Full-time employees earn 13 days per year. Sick leave may be used for personal illness, medical treatments, or to care for a family member. Sick leave hours accrue without limit.

Paid holidays - Employees receive 11 paid holidays each year—New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King’s birthday, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

Career Development

A robust Learning and Development Program is one of the most valuable benefits you can receive at the Commission.  The CFTC champions an environment in which all employees can be effective and continue to grow in their careers. 

In support of this goal, the CFTC offers extensive career development opportunities to include a host of curated online training content in the legal, financial, leadership and business areas; instructor-led training (ILT) events from internal SMEs and outside vendors on key management topics for supervisor development topics and ethics, contract administration and diversity awareness for all employees; and external training and conference opportunities to support your career and industry knowledge growth.