The Technology Advisory Committee (TAC) was created in 1999 to advise the Commission on the impact and implications of technological innovations on financial services and the futures markets, and the appropriate legislative and regulatory response to increasing use of technology in the markets.
Commissioner Brian Quintenz sponsors the Technology Advisory Committee on a rotating basis. Members include representatives of futures exchanges, self-regulatory organizations, financial intermediaries, market participants, and traders.
Committee Charter (PDF)
Charter Renewal (PDF)
Members of the Technology Advisory Committee
Requesting Public Comment on the Commission’s Surveillance Program
The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s (Commission) Technology Advisory Committee (TAC) held a meeting on June 3, 2014 to discuss various issues regarding high-frequency trading, the Commission’s surveillance program, and swap execution facilities. Panel II focused on the Commission developing a 21st-century surveillance program. To gain further input on this topic, the TAC is requesting public comment from interested parties about their specific proposals or ideas for how the Commission should develop a 21st-century surveillance system.
Comment File - Closing Date: 8/4/2014
Subcommittee on Automated and High Frequency Trading
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission Votes to Establish a New Subcommittee of the Technology Advisory Committee (TAC) to focus on High Frequency Trading, 2/9/2012
- 77 FR 8222: Notice Requesting Nominations for the Subcommittee on Automated and High Frequency Trading, 2/14/2012
- CFTC Announces Members of the Technology Advisory Subcommittee on Data Standardization, 6/23/2011
Swap data resources
Swap Data Repositories - Links to Real-Time Reporting
- ICE Trade Vault
- Other Commodities
The Future of Computer Trading in Financial Markets: An International Perspective Final Project Report
UK Government Office for Science, October 2012
Recommendations on Pre-Trade Practices for Trading Firms, Clearing Firms and Exchanges involved in Direct Market Access
CFTC Pre-Trade Functionality Subcommittee, March 2011
Related presentations from the March 1, 2011 Technology Advisory Committee meeting.
- Presentation to the CFTC Technology Advisory Committee (TAC), BlackRock
- Technology Implications and Costs of Dodd-Frank on Financial Markets, TABB Group
- Technology applications needed to implement pre-trade risk management controls for DMA and Sponsored access clients, Newedge
- Data Reporting and Universal ID Requirements, DTCC
- Division of Market Oversight Presentation to TAC Meeting, CFTC Division of Market Oversight
- Recommended Practices for Trading Firms, Clearing Firms and Exchanges Involved in Direct market Access, CFTC Pre-Trade Functionality Subcommittee
- Where is the Value in High Frequency Trading?, Álvaro Cartea and José Penalva
The CFTC received the following responses to its November 17 letter.
- FIA Principal Traders Group, 12/12/2011
- Alternative Investment Management Association, 12/9/2011
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, 12/13/2011
- BG Group, 12/5/2011