Release Number 5823-10
May 17, 2010
Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues to Meet on Monday, May 24, 2010
Professor Joseph Stiglitz named to Joint Committee
Washington, DC – The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) today announced that the first meeting of the Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues will be held on Monday, May 24, 2010.
The Joint Committee will discuss the preliminary findings of the staffs of the CFTC and SEC related to the unusual market events of May 6, 2010.
The CFTC and SEC also announced today that Nobel Laureate and Columbia Business School Professor Joseph Stiglitz will be a member of the Joint Committee.
CFTC Chairman Gary Gensler and SEC Chairman Mary Schapiro will serve as co-chairs of the Committee. Additional members of the Committee include:
• Brooksley Born, Former Chair of the CFTC
• Jack Brennan, Former Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, Vanguard
• Robert Engle, Michael Armellino Professor of Finance at the NYU Stern School of Business
• Richard Ketchum, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, FINRA
• Maureen O’Hara, Professor of Management, Professor of Finance, Cornell University
• Susan Phillips, Dean and Professor of Finance, The George Washington University School of Business
• David Ruder, William W. Gurley Memorial Professor of Law Emeritus, Northwestern University School of Law; Former Chair of the SEC
Monday’s meeting will be streamed live on the Internet at www.sec.gov.
R. David Gary
Last Updated: May 17, 2010