June 21, 2010
Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues Announces Agenda, List of Participants for June 22 Meeting
Washington, DC — The Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues today announced the agenda for its public meeting to be held on June 22, 2010.
The Committee is conducting a review of the unusual market events that occurred on May 6, 2010. The Committee will hear from representatives of exchanges and significant market participants about their views and observations relating to market events of that day. At the Committee’s next meeting, anticipated to occur in late July, the Committee expects to hear from other market participants, including brokerage houses, issuers, institutional traders and retail investors about the effects of the events of May 6. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) Chairman Gary Gensler and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Chairman Mary Schapiro are the co-chairs of the Committee.
“The insights and views of these market participants will provide the Committee and CFTC and SEC staff with valuable information to aid our regulatory efforts going forward,” CFTC Chairman Gensler said.
“These firsthand accounts will further inform our understanding of what happened,” added SEC Chairman Schapiro.
The meeting at the SEC headquarters building at 100 F Street, N.E., Washington, D.C., will be open to the public with seating on a first-come, first-served basis. The meeting also will be webcast on the SEC’s website.
For additional information about the meeting, contact the CFTC’s Office of Public Affairs at (202) 418-5080 or the SEC’s Office of Public Affairs at (202) 551-4120. The Commissions will accept public comments about the issues addressed at this meeting. Comments can be submitted to the CFTC at [email protected]. Directions on submitting comments to the SEC are available at the SEC’s website.
Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee Meeting Agenda and Panelists
1:00 Opening Statements from CFTC Chairman Gary Gensler and SEC Chairman Mary L. Schapiro
1:15 Panel One: Exchange Observations
• Craig S. Donohue, Chief Executive Officer, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange
• Edward J. Joyce, President & Chief Operating Officer, Chicago Board Options Exchange, Inc.
• Joseph Mecane, Executive Vice President & Co-Head of U.S. Listing and Cash Execution, NYSE Euronext
• Eric Noll, Executive Vice President-Transaction Services, NASDAQ OMX Group
• William O’Brien, Chief Executive Officer, Direct Edge
• Joseph Ratterman, President & Chief Executive Officer, BATS Exchange, Inc.
• Chuck Vice, President & Chief Operating Officer, the Intercontinental Exchange, Inc.
2:45 Panel Two: Perspectives on Liquidity
• Leonard Amoruso, Senior Managing Director & General Counsel, Knight Capital Group
• David Cummings, Owner & Chairman of the Board, Tradebot Systems
• Jeff Engelberg, Principal & Senior Trader, Southeastern Asset Management, Inc.
• Thomas Peterffy, Chairman & CEO, Interactive Brokers LLC
• Anoop Prasad, Managing Director, D.E. Shaw & Co.
• Matt Schrecengost, Chief Operating Officer, Jump Trading LLC
• David Weild IV, Capital Markets Advisor, Grant Thornton
4:15 Committee Organizational Matters
4:30 Staff Update, Subcommittee Reports and Next Steps
R. David Gary
Last Updated: July 28, 2010