- An “intermediary” is a person or firm who acts on behalf of another person in connection with futures trading.
- Futures Commission Merchants (FCMs)
- Introducing Brokers (IBs)
- Commodity Pool Operators (CPOs)
- Commodity Trading Advisors (CTAs)
- Floor Brokers (FBs)
- Agricultural Trade Option Merchants (ATOMs)
- Intermediaries are generally required to register with the CFTC
- Associated Persons (APs) also must register and their principals must be listed. Floor Traders (FTs) are also required to register
- You can access registration information through the National Futures Association's BASIC (Background Affiliation Status Information Center) system
If you have questions, are aware of suspicious activities, or believe you have been defrauded, please contact the CFTC immediately by calling the CFTC’s Consumer Protection Hotline at 866.366.2382, or filing a tip or complaint.