Jaime L. Klima is Chief of Staff and Chief Operating Officer of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. In her role, she serves as Chairman Heath Tarbert’s lead advisor on legal, policy, and administrative matters. Ms. Klima is responsible for managing the daily operations of the agency, overseeing a staff of approximately 700 located in four offices across the country. She is also the Chairman’s Deputy Representative to the Financial Stability Oversight Council.
Ms. Klima brings over 15 years of experience in financial services to her role. Prior to joining the CFTC, she spent seven years serving in a variety of senior legal and policy roles at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, most recently as Chief Counsel to SEC Chairman Jay Clayton. In that capacity, she was responsible for managing and executing the policy agenda of the agency, including all Commission and interagency rulemakings. From 2004 to 2012, Ms. Klima practiced law at Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP, advising major financial market participants on compliance with federal laws and regulations and the rules of self-regulatory organizations.
Other Public Service
- Counsel to Commissioner Michael S. Piwowar, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (2013-2017)
- Counsel to Commissioner Troy A. Paredes, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (2012-2013)
- Law Clerk, Chambers of Honorable Richard L. Nygaard, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2003-2004)
- JD, cum laude, Duke University (2003)
- MPP, Duke University (2003)
- BS, Systems Engineering, with distinction, University of Virginia (1999)